At the 2nd QCI National Quality Conclave in 2007, Dr A P J Abdul Kalam in his address stated that if we have to bring Quality in the Nation we need to begin at the roots i.e. in schools.
The Accreditation standard for Quality School Governance has been developed in the above mentioned context. The standard has three basic sections i.e.
- Educational and Support Processes and
- Performance Measurement & Improvement.
The sections are interwoven to deliver Quality Education.
The School Accreditation standard:
- Provides educational services that aim to enhance satisfaction level of all the interested parties,
- It addresses requirements that are applicable to all kinds of schools, regardless of type, size, affiliations and nature of educational services provided,
- Provides a basis for assessing and where required, rating the effectiveness of an educational management system,
- Develop quality consciousness among interested parties involved in school activities
Focus of the Standard
- Establishing systems to enable learning, self development and improved performance,
- Providing for holistic development of student,
- Encouraging schools to pursue excellence,
- Complying with statutory and regulatory requirements.
Use of the Standard
- As a self- improvement tool,
- For third party accreditation / certification,
- By statutory and regulatory authorities
Scope of the Standard
This standard specifies requirements for accreditation of a school which:
- Needs to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide educational service that meets interested party requirements with a view to provide holistic education and facilitate overall development of students&
- Aims to enhance interested party satisfaction through the effective application of process approach for continual improvement of the system.
Accreditation helps to ensure that educational and support processes have synergy to provide for holistic development of student.
Accreditation is awarded, after carrying out structured assessment of compliance to the accreditation standard.
Benefits of Accreditation
- Conceptualize national curricular objectives in school processes
- Standardize school processes as per national / international requirements
- Design school governance structure and methodologies
- Enhance the teaching / learning process
- Design performance measurement and evaluation methods.
Benefits for Students/Parents
- Improved quality of education
- Holistic / balanced education helping students for personality development
- Organized and transparent school system for better day to day experience for students and parents
- Feedback system to get student and parent’s issues addressed
Benefits for School
- Capability development for delivering quality education
- Quality improvement in existing school system / process
- Proven and predictable model to run the school
- International standards applied for local and national school needs
Benefits for School staff
- Establishing quality culture
- Energetic and motivated staff
- Scientific and systematic approach towards teaching
- Continuous learning and training resulting skilled staff
- Efficient and improved work environment
Benefits for School Management
- Benchmarking school against best in education field
- International recognition for quality standards (In addition to NABET Accreditation the school can get Scottish Qualification Authority – SQA accreditation also on payment of a nominal amount annually)
- Achievement of objectives and goals
- Establishing center of excellence and continuous improvement
- Establishing and working towards long term goal
- Regular feedback on performance through internal and external assessments
The Accreditation Standard for Quality School Governance if understood and implemented in its true spirit will enable schools to improve and transform themselves. It helps schools to move from being individual/people driven to process/system driven.
School Accreditation is not a threat or an invasion to privacy. The standard is not a tool that dictates terms & conditions. It is an attempt to achieve excellence through an education quality management system. The only driver that could bring in a radical transformation in this mission is Accreditation.